Saturday, December 20, 2008

Mouse in the House

Today, we put up the Christmas tree. It is possible there was a visitor in the box we store the tree in. Go figure. Anyway, the boys (hubby & son) went out for supper. I didn't feel like going so I am home alone with the dog and two cats. It is nice and quiet until I hear the animals chasing around. One of the animals is growling. Allie, occasionally growls when Duke or Leo are bugging her but they aren't bugging her and upon checking, she isn't the one growling. Hmmm, Duke's not growling either. Leo never growls. But wait, what's in his mouth? Oh, no!!! A mouse. Yes, it's still alive. Yikes, I hate mice. I called hubby's cell phone, they are already seated at the restaurant. Leo drops the mouse while I'm on the phone, Leo catches the mouse. No, don't come home, we will handle this.

There is a bowl of oranges on the table. I should say there was a bowl of oranges on the table. I dumped the oranges on the table and proceed to chase Leo who still has the mouse in his mouth. He leads me to the bathroom where he drops the mouse and quickly captures it again. This time, I'm ready! I corner him by the shower. With the bowl in one hand and the nap of Leo's neck in the other, I shake Leo and order him to drop it. The mouse falls out of his mouth and onto the bath rug. I drop the bowl over the top of the mouse and have him captured.

But, Leo is going crazy, he wants his mouse back. No, he can't have him. I drag the bath mat with the mouse under glass into the laundry room. To be safe, I set a big bucket of cat litter on top of the bowl. Close the laundry room doors.

Now Leo, is pacing back and forth from the bathroom laundry door to the kitchen laundry door. I've checked, the mouse is still under glass. Occasionally Duke & Allie will follow.

I'm proud of Leo for catching the mouse but he needs to understand - mice are dirty, mice are not toys. Give it up. I think I'll give him some catnip. Maybe that will take his mind off it.

Hubby is stopping at the store after dinner. He will pick up some sticky mouse traps. Probably a good thing to have on hand anyway.

No comments:

Weather, Here & There

Here: ------------------------------------------------------ There: