Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Last Dog.....

Our beloved Duke went to the Rainbow Bridge in September.  It was very difficult for us to say goodbye.  A week after his death I came home to find my husband sulking in his chair.  When I asked what was wrong he blurted out "I want another dog!"

My immediate response was absolutely not!  We are too old to start a new family.  Dogs are too dependent and it is so difficult to say goodbye.  It did not take long for me to change my mind.  I counter offered with a deal.  I would agree to adopting a puppy if 1) it is a small dog, 2) it is not another English Setter or any full breed, 3) it must be a non-shedder and 4) it must be a female.

At first da hubs said no but the idea of no wagging tail to greet us every day changed his mind.  I began trolling the internet and the same little picture kept popping up, a little Teddy Bear born in August.  I made contact with the breeder and immediately named the puppy Laswan, a Bislama word which means "last one".  On October 23, 2013 we officially adopted the puppy, her fur mama is a Llapso Apso and her fur papa is a Maltese/Poodle (Multi-poo).  Although officially named Laswan, we call ether Lassie.

At her first vet appointment, Lassie weighed 4.2 pounds.  Three weeks later she weighed 5.6 pounds. We made the decision to piddle pad train her.  It was an excellent decision.  She already trots into the bathroom to us the piddle pad and proudly makes sure we notice so she can get her reward.  We have had very few accidents for a couple of weeks!  She is so smart.

We attended Puppy Orientation at PetSmart and were happy to learn we are on the right track in our training.  Lassie is enrolled in Puppy School which will start the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  In the meantime, we will continue with potty training, teaching her to come when her name is called and learning to sit with hand and voice commands.

She is so smart, I am confident she will be a pro by the time school begins.

No comments:

Weather, Here & There

Here: ------------------------------------------------------ There: