Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Healthy New Years Goals

I really hate the idea of New Years Resolutions. People make decisions to do better and often break their resolutions before the first week of January is over. Throughout the years, I have seen an influx of people at the gym during the month of January. By February, there is space to exercise again. I have to admit, I have been one of those people a few times.

The hubby and I made a decision to get in shape last fall. We have been working hard and losing weight and inches in addition to gaining muscle mass and getting heart healthy. I have decided to make a new year's resolution - based on what we have been practicing this fall - to continue to eat healthy and exercise regularly. Here are some of the things I will do to achieve those goals:

Drink water - between 75-85 ounces a day
Exercise 45-60 minutes every day

Eat: (goal 6 out of 10 per day)
  1. 23 almonds per day (fill an empty Altoids tin)
  2. 1/2 cup berries per day (blue, rasp, stray, boysen, goose or back currents)
  3. 3 servings leafy greens (spinach, brocolli, arugula, broccolinni)
  4. 1-3 cups low-fat or fat-free yogurt (unsweetened, plain or vanilla, contains live cultures)
  5. one cup veggie soup per day
  6. two four ounce servings Omega 3 rich foods - like salmon - per week
  7. Quinoa - 1/2 cup per day
  8. 4 eggs per week
  9. 25 g whole soy (edamame, tofu)
  10. organic or free range food as much as possible
In addition to the above, I would like to elminiate obesogens from my diet by the end of 2011. " Obesogens are substances including bisphenol A which are suspected of promoting obesity by increasing fat cells in the body and altering metabolism and feelings of hunger and fullness" (information from 12/2010 Reader's Digest).

I would like to continue my breakfast of oatmeal, fruit, cinnamon and nuts - at least 6 times a week. I know it might get boring but it is such a good breakfast and keeps me from getting hungry in the morning.

Any comments or additional suggestions would be welcome and appreciated.

No comments:

Weather, Here & There

Here: ------------------------------------------------------ There: