Monday, March 14, 2011

telling time.....

It is no secret, I have trouble telling time.  I thought I could overcome this problem once digital clocks became the norm but alas, last weekend proved I still have a wee bit of a problem.  Saturday morning I mixed together the ingredients for a loaf of bread.  The directions are for the dough to sit for 12 to 18 hours.  After sitting & fermenting, the dough is gently turned out onto a floured surface, stretched a little and then wrapped in a floured tea towel to rise again for about an hour.  Baking time follows, 45 minutes.

Well, I mixed the dough at 8 am.  Then, I proceeded to determine what time it would be 18 hours later - I counted (on my fingers) 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 1, 2 - and decided 18 hours later would be 2 pm ..... Sunday afternoon. 

At 11 pm Saturday night, I realized the error of my calculations.  The dough had fermented and I could have set it for the 2nd rise but that would mean I would not be going to sleep for several more hours - and I was exhausted.

Instead, I gently turned the dough out, stretched it, wrapped it in a floured towel and then placed the dough in the fridge.  Sunday morning I set the dough out to warm a little while I preheated the oven.  Well, the bread turned out to be the best bread I have ever baked!!!!!  It was moist, chewy (crust), crunchy (walnuts), sweet (raisins) and absolutely delicious.

Can't wait for my next mistake in the kitchen.

No comments:

Weather, Here & There

Here: ------------------------------------------------------ There: