Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Whenever we have an unhappy experience with another person, we must not complain, “Why did he do this to me?” That is the first reaction almost everyone makes. However, it misses the mark entirely. Instead, you must ask, ‘Why did I react painfully to what he did?” This reaction brings us back to our responsibility for abandoning ego-centered sensitivities. Then, anyone can do anything to you and there is no pain, only a peaceful understanding. Vernon Howard

I read the above quote on an e-mail from Inner Kiddies today. Later in the day I was treated quite rudely by a co-worker. My first response was "geesh! What did I do to deserve that treatment?" I recalled the same co-worker biting my head off for no reason the week before. Then, I remembered reading this e-mail earlier in the day. I went back to my desk and re-read the e-mail with the quote.

I still do not understand why this co-worker is taking her frustrations out on me. Perhaps I have done something to make her angry. Perhaps she is having a bad day, week, month or school year. What ever the reason, I will keep her in my prayers and hope that she finds the peace she needs. My first reaction was to confront her. I view a confrontation as a form of complaining. Instead, while keeping her in my prayers, I will also steer clear of her, eventually she will need my assistance and will have to treat me with respect. Perhaps an apology is in order but I won't hold my breath.

No comments:

Weather, Here & There

Here: ------------------------------------------------------ There: