Monday, May 5, 2008

Colonoscopy

Apparently a gift to oneself when turning 50 is a colonoscopy. Although I passed the magic birthday several years ago, my gift arrived today. Today was a piece of cake. Lay in a bed with my stomach grumbling watching nurses drink coffee and deliver muffins to patients who have completed their test. Then a short ride around the nursing station to room on the other side where a doctor I have never met mumbles a few words to me. I'm told by his assistant to roll over on my left side and soon a mild drug is administered causing me to fall asleep. I wake up back where I started and I get my muffin and something to drink. Hmm, I think I got something to drink, I don't remember.

Yesterday on the other hand was really crappy. It started at 10 am when I had to drink a bottle of magnezium stuff which instantly made me feel nauseous and crampy. Between 2 and 6 pm I had to drink two liters of a foul smelling liquid which I could flavor with my choice of lemon-lime, cherry, orange or something else. Stupid me, I chose Cherry. Gross, Gross, Gross. I made it half way through the 2 liters by 5:30 and had to chug the rest. Every time I drank a glass of the crud it was another trip to the bathroom. The goal was the stuff coming out of me had to be clear. By 6:30 I had reached the goal. During the day I could have clear liquids which I consumed chicken broth, coffee and diet coke - all considered clear even though you can't see through them.

Anyway, today was easy compared to yesterday and I'm glad it's past. DD, Stephanie summed it up perfectly saying "Aren't you glad it's only once every ten years and not every six months like the dentist!"

No comments:

Weather, Here & There

Here: ------------------------------------------------------ There: