Saturday, May 31, 2008

My Deck Garden

The neighborhood is overrun with children. Last year the unruly children spent time in my back yard climbing our small maple trees. We planted the trees 17 years ago when we moved in. Unfortunately, they are fast growing maples which means the branches grew fast but not strong. The little darlings tore so many branches off the poor trees, I'm surprised they are still alive. I want to grow some vegetables and herbs this summer but I'm afraid the little hooligans will destroy any garden if I plant it in the back yard.

So, I decided, why not plant a small container garden. My back deck is now my garden. On Memorial Day weekend, we went to the farmer's market and Lowes and purchased some plants. We have several varieties of tomato plants, including one cherry tomato plant. Some of the plants already have green tomatoes! I also planted several kinds of peppers, green bell, jalapeƱo, and hot peppers. For my herb garden, oregano, parsley, lavender, peppermint, spearmint, chives, etc. Then I planted a few seeds too. Yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to see I have some radishes already coming up! To celebrate, I planted some beans and a few flowers too.

The deck is such a relaxing place to sit. Too bad I couldn't enjoy the peace & quiet tonight. The neighborhood boys are having a sleep-over next door. I doubt they will be doing much sleeping but I'm sure they will have a lot of fun. I sat on the deck tonight with a cup of coffee, a book and lit a small fire in the chiminea. I look forward to many beautiful mornings this summer sitting on the deck enjoying the first cup of coffee in the morning. The best part is between the container garden, the grill and the small storage shed on the deck plus the pear tree in the yard, the deck is relatively private - except for the little black cat crying at the door to come outside. I placed a cage on the deck for him but that is not what he wants either. I do not believe cats should run loose - I would hate to have omething happen to him.

No comments:

Weather, Here & There

Here: ------------------------------------------------------ There: