Saturday, April 9, 2011

National Harbor, Home of The Awakening

Several weeks before our Washington DC vacation I signed up for Groupons.  Every day I received an e-mail with discounted offers for restaurants, spas, tours, etc.  One of the offers was a deal for a boat tour up and down the Potomac River to see the cherry blossoms.  I immediately started googling for information on the boat tour.  I found the boat was docked at the National Harbor in Oxon, Maryland and the tour brought us to East Potomac Park and Haines Point.  I was curious as to how we would get to the National Harbor so I searched Google Maps.  The easiest way I saw was to take the subway south and then grab a taxi.  I estimated the distance from subway to harbor was around five miles.  Shouldn't cost much.

I went ahead and booked the tour and I am so glad I did!  My guess for transportation was confirmed by Stu in Congressman Huizenga's office.  During our tour of the capital I asked Stu if he would be able to help me.  After the tour, he checked and sure enough, Blue Line to King Street Station and then cab to National Harbor was the safest way to journey.

Upon our arrival at the National Harbor we located the dock where the Pelican would be waiting for us.  We also found The Awakening - a sculpture that I spent time looking for years ago. 


The last time I saw for the sculpture, I took a cab ride with a cabbie that had no idea where the sculpture was but managed to find it - shortly after it started raining. 


  
When I got out of the cab to take pictures I found out my camera was not working (I accidentally left it running) and I was unable to document finding the sculpture.



I had heard the sculpture had been sold but I thought it was moved to Florida.  Needless to say, I was excited to find the sculpture.  There are several interpretations about the meaning behind the sculpture.  I read somewhere the artist said he created it because it looked good.  I'll leave it up to you to decide on your interpretation.

No comments:

Weather, Here & There

Here: ------------------------------------------------------ There: