Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sweetwater Market

We have a market here where local vendors (farmers) sell healthy choices of meat, vegetables, fruits, breads, honey, coffee, soaps, treats for dogs and even and socks & mitten made from yarn spun from the wool of the sheep they raise. I like to go to the market to purchase boneless/skinless chicken breasts. The chicken breasts are from free range and organically raised chickens. The majority of chicken breasts I find in the grocery stores have been injected with chicken broth that also includes sodium. In my opinion, if I want sodium in my chicken meat, I would rather add my own.

I was rather sad to find out there were no chicken breasts available at the market today. I guess I will have to search my grocery store for their version of "healthy" chicken meat. I am so happy I don't have to buy ground chicken anymore since I not know how easy it is to use my Kitchen-Aid stand mixer with the attachment for grinding chicken.

Today's purchases at Sweetwater Market included to celeriac bulbs, an onion, some sweet carrots, a breakfast scone (for Sunday), a breakfast cookie (devoured already), a loaf of raisin/pecan bread, 2 packages of ground turkey (for the days I'm too lazy to grind my chicken), beautiful brown eggs, dog treats and a bar of shea & oats soap.

I also received a mini lesson from one of the vendors about why egg shells are different colors. Very informative. I love going to the market - I even get a cup of free coffee since I paid my dues and I'm a "friend of Sweetwater Market." If you live in Muskegon, be sure to check them out. They are located at Hackley at the Lakes and are open during the winter every other Saturday from 9 am to 1 pm - so don't go next Saturday. They will be there again on February 12. Hope to see you there.

No comments:

Weather, Here & There

Here: ------------------------------------------------------ There: